The Baltimore Convention Center is looking to hire an enthusiastic individual to the full-time position of Assistant Superintendent of Operations within the Client Services Department. This position manages the day to day operations of custodial staff, event set-ups, and routine maintenance of departmental equipment. A frequent inspection of the facility, equipment, and inventory levels is expected on a daily basis. This position also conducts day-to-day training, performance evaluations and exercises disciplinary action of employees within the department of 60+. The Assistant Superintendent of Operations is constantly communicating and participating with other departments, outside companies, and organizational partners.
Examples of the work include:
- Develops, assigns and supervises work of all operations and custodial staff.
- Coordinates and directs changeovers of Center facilities from one event to another.
- Coordinates the day to day cleaning operations and supervision of workers in the cleaning of the building and grounds.
- Requisitions housekeeping and set-up materials and equipment, as required
- Manages purchasing and inventories of supplies.
- Conducts employee performance evaluations and exercises disciplinary action of employees when necessary.
- Recommends hiring and firing of employees.
- Conducts inspections of building on a daily basis.
- Coordinates and evaluates performance of contractual services associated with cleanliness and appearance of the building.
- Develops and conducts in-service training programs within the department.
- Maintains schedules and attendance records of staff.
- Represents the department in event production meetings with other Center employees and customers and communicates pertinent information to the staff.
- Directly assists the Superintendent of Operations and may act in his stead, as required.
- Is responsible for providing a clean, well-maintained and safe atmosphere for events.
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES:
- Thorough knowledge of facility and event operations as well as related practices and procedures.
- Good knowledge of general building maintenance, and building codes and regulations set forth by City and State authorities.
- Ability to conduct, plan and enforce training programs and recommend improved procedures within the department.
- Ability to evaluate needs of events and schedule and deploy personnel in efficient and effective manner.
- Ability to speak and write effectively and interact with customers and contractors as necessary.
- Ability to supervise and exercise authority within the department.
- Ability to work long and irregular hours that may vary due to functions and may include day, evening, weekends and holidays.
- Ability to stand and walk for large portions of day; may lift and carry objects up to 40 lbs.
Intermediate knowledge of Microsoft Office
MINIMUM EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE REQUIREMENTS:
Education – A bachelor’s degree in business management, facility management, hospitality, or related field from an accredited college or university.
Experience – Two years of experience managing, planning, leading building setup operations, and overseeing a large diverse staff of professional and semi-skilled laborers and custodial employees.
Equivalencies - Additional years of management experience can be substituted year for year for the required degree.